Sermon Notes: Mark 8:31-9:1
This is the video we watched to start the sermon off…
Socialization: a continuing process whereby an individual acquires a personal identity and learns the norms, values, behavior, and social skills appropriate to his or her social position.
Discipleship: A continuing process whereby an individual learns what it means to deny self, die to self and live for Christ within the context of their culture’s identity, norms, values, behavior and social positions.
The work of Jesus…
To providing the ways and means of oneness with God.
Ill: William Tyndale invented the word Atonement (at onement) To better explain the teaching and meaning of Christ’s sacrifice, and how it accomplished two things the remission of sin and the reconciliation of man to God.
The work of the disciple…
Deny, Die, Live
The work of the church…Is not to socialize people.
- Church is not my personal identity. My personal identity is forged within the work of discipleship.
- Church is not “the norm”. Church is people and if you are a person you are the norm.
- Church is not a place where you acquire values. Church is a collection of the people (some lost & some found) learning what it means to have their values shaped within the context of being a disciple.
- Church is not a place to “behave”. Church is a people who behave.
- Church is not a school of church social skills for church social positions. Our social position is found in the messy, dirty, humiliating work of disciple being and disciple making.